Sunday, November 6, 2011

Zoopa!!!

One of my all time favorite soups is the Zoopa Toscana you will find at Olive Garden.
 One of my co-workers found the recipe but of course I modified it and I think it's even better.
 I've made it twice and shared it and everybody agrees!!
 My version is even heartier than the original with a nice little kick of heat!
More of the goods and less liquid!
It's so good I just have to share my revised recipe.

  • 2 b ground Italian Sausage (I used 1lb hot and l lb mild)
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 2 large diced white or yellow onion
  • half lb bacon
  • 2 heaping tbsp garlic puree
  • 1 qt chicken broth
  • 4 cubes of chicken bouillon
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • about 2-3 large russet potatoes
  • 1/2 to 1 bunch of kale
  1. Saute Italian Sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat.
  2. Saute bacon, onions and garlic over low to medium heat for approximately 15 min. or until onions are soft.
  3. Add chicken stock and bouillon cubes and heat until it starts to boil.
  4. Add sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
  5. Add heavy cream and cook until thoroughly heated.
  6. star in sausage and kale, let all heat through and serve.

I am not a very precise cook, I probably didn't do this exactly in the order listed above, you just can't go wrong with this one. The first time I made it I put it all in a crock pot and it cooked for a couple of hours and it was still delish! It creates almost more of a stew than a soup, you can certain add more water or chicken broth to your taste and you can easily cut the recipe in half. This will make about 15 servings and creates yummy leftovers!

Here is the Original Recipe I adapted for my recipe above.

I also made these super yummy and super easy Mini Garlic Muffins!! A perfect compliment to the soup!

I wish I had pictures but I was cooking for company last night and didn't have a chance to photogragh any of the process. The muffins are all gone and 4 of us put quite a dent in the soup! I'm sure my husband and I will finish it off today!

ENJOY and please let me know if you make it!

Kristi




7 comments:

  1. You had me at bacon.
    and garlic.
    and potatoes.

    Can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm sounds good I will have to give this one a try. Thank you for sharing Kristi.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, looks very good! Maybe even my boyfriend would eat this (sausage and bacon - how can you go wrong for a man???).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful Kristi!
    Thank you so much for sharing the recipe here.
    Sending you wishes for a great start to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha Holly !!! My husband loves this soup too I have to try it this week! Thanks Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite as well! I'm definately going to make this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete