Tuesday, June 26, 2012

WBW - Hawks and Flickers

I'm starting my post with what I believe is a Red Tailed Hawk.


There were actually 3 of them but this was the only one that got close enough to photograph.
Even with my 500mm he was way up there and it was a challenge to get him in to focus,
I swear I quit breathing I was so intent on catching him on "film"
I had to stop for a minute to concentrate on breathing or I would hve fallen over.


They were making alot of noise and in this last one he's in the middle of one of those calls,
I was lucky I clicked at just the right moment.


Earlier the same day I was out watering flowers and I heard the distinct voice of a Flicker.
I dropped the hose and high tailed it in the house to get my camera!
I've seen and heard the flickers around but this is my first picture.
I wish this dead tree in my neighbors yard was just a little bit closer.


At first they were to the left in the branches and I couldn't see them,
then they moved to this dead tree.


They were making lots of cooing and kissing noises, obviously talking about going steady!
The picture below was the only one I caught of them dancing around,
the one on the bottom was swaying back and forth
the one on the top spreading it's tail feathers and I caught both behaviors!!!!


Kristi

10 comments:

  1. Great captures, Hawks and Flickers, Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Kristi fantastic shots of the birds! I believe you are right about that being a Red Tailed Hawk.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great captures of all the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you've shared...the natural rituals of the birds in flight and perhaps a mating ritual going on!!

    MERLIN FALCON

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful birds to see.. the flight shots are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool shots of the hawk, looks like a Red-Tail! And the flickers are cool birds. Great birds and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures, especially like the last one with the pair dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. loving each of your photographs and I know what you mean about holding your breath

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing photos! These birds are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way far away, yet still very nice selections and I love the flashing of those tail feathers of the Flicker~

    ReplyDelete