Tuesday, June 5, 2012

WBW, Mystery Bird


This is the secont time I've seen this bird, it's at the top of a dead tree quite far away and these are the best pictures I've been able to get. With some research and the help of my sister we think it's a Flycatcher, specifically a Western Wood Pewee????
I hope somebody here can confirm.
It's call is quite different than what I've found online but it looks and flies like a Flycatcher.


Next, one of my cute little Juncos splish spashin in the bird bath!


Last but not least, the very elusive Spotted Towhee! I've been trying to get a shot of this one for months, I see them alot but they are always on the opposite side of a chain link fence so I never get a clear shot. I finally saw on on my side of the fence and got to the camerz in time to get a few pictures.





Kristi

16 comments:

  1. flycatchers are so hard to distinguish! what a gorgeous towhee! nice shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not positive on the first one, but it does look like a flycatcher of some kind. The Towhee is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Towhee is so cute! Terrific shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing like a red eye to make a great point of reference. I love everything about your towhee shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out the flycatchers on the Cornell Bird id site. Just Google Western Wood Pewee and click on Cornell Bird ID. The site will become a favorite of yours Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos and the bird with the red eye is especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful images of your wonderful wildlife..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful collection of birds, the towhee is gorgeous. Flycatcher are difficult for me to id, especially the western species. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog! The birds and flowers are beautiful. new follower. Hope you could visit me at tootsabellarose.blogspot.com and possibly follow back. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots of the beautiful birds.
    I especially like the Spotted Towhee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, no help from me on the mystery bird! But the shots of the Spotted Towhee are splendid.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Spotted Towhee is so pretty! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do believe it is a Flycatcher too. We had one once that just stayed so high up in the trees that it was difficult to ID. I adore the Spotted Towhee images, just so cute those birds and really quite secretive, and so you dud very well~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Try putting your flycatcher on Birdforum, they have a great ID section that gets results. all you need to do is quickly register on the site and post your image in the ID section giving location..... its a great birding site anyway so you may be pleased to come across it

    regards
    Dave

    ReplyDelete